Legal Strategy Co-ordinator at NLU Delhi [Apply by June 25]
The National Law University, Delhi (“University”) is seeking to engage on a contractual basis, with one ‘Legal Strategy Co-ordinator’ for the Nagpur office of the Fair Trial Fellowship Programme (‘Programme’) supported by a grant from the Azim Premji Foundation.
About the Program
The Fair Trial Fellowship Programme (‘the Programme’) is an opportunity for young lawyers and social workers to work for providing quality legal representation to undertrial prisoners. The Programme mentors a group of young professionals to work in collaboration with the State Legal Services Authority towards ensuring fair trials for undertrial prisoners at both pre-trial and trial stages.
The Programme is rolled out for work in Nagpur and Pune Central prisons. The twin goals of the program are to reduce the undertrial population in prisons in Pune and Nagpur and to work with the legal aid system in Maharashtra. To this end, there is research as well as a component of the program. The program has offices in Pune and Nagpur.
About the Opportunity
This is a full-time paid position based in Nagpur. Selected candidates will be expected to reside within the municipal limits of the city of their selection.
Number of Positions
Roles & Responsibilities
- Developing and implementing litigation strategy for cases of under-trial prisoners and coordinating the work of the Legal Fellows in each office.
- Reviewing the progress of individual cases assigned to Legal Fellows in the respective offices.
- Co-ordinating and liaising with District Legal Service Authority (DLSA), Legal Aid Defense Counsel System (LADCS), LADC counsels and DLSA panel advocates, prison authorities, police system, criminal law experts, and other stakeholders to ensure effective implementation of the program.
- Managing the overall functioning, administration, and coordination of the Nagpur Office.
- Writing reports and compiling data extensively, as may be required for the purposes of program documentation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Assisting the program team in any other work that may be required for effective program implementation.
- Registration as a practicing advocate (Sanad) with the Bar Council of any state in India.
- Minimum 5 years experience of litigation in trial court/ criminal appellate court.
- Familiarity with the workings of the State and District Legal Aid Systems would be preferred.
- Proficiency in English and Marathi is necessary.
- Familiarity with MS Office, emails, and the Internet is required.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and will be within the range of Rs. 65,000-Rs.75,000 per month.
How to Apply?
- Interested persons must attach their resume and a statement of purpose, explaining their role and interest in working on this program. The statement of purpose must not exceed 700 words. Shortlisted candidates will be called for the selection process which will be held in Nagpur. The selection process may have multiple rounds.
- Applications and documents will be accepted only through the form link given at the end of the post.
June 25, 2023
Follow & Join Law Faculty on LinkedIn, Telegram and WhatsApp for more job & Internship updates.
If you wish to receive regular updates regarding jobs and internships on Whatsapp, feel free to drop me a message on 9643852903