WEST BENGAL JUDICIAL SERVICE EXAMINATION
Scheme and Syllabus Selection Process:
- Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
- Written Main Examination (Subjective Type)
Exam Pattern: The Examination Pattern will be as follows:
- The Exam will be Objective Type.
- The Exam will be of 200 Marks/ Questions.
- The time Duration for the Examination will be 2:30 Hours.
The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge:
- English Composition [30 marks]
- General Knowledge, Current Affairs and Test of Reasoning [40 marks]
- Indian Constitution [20 marks]
- Law of Contracts and Torts [20marks]
- Laws of Evidence [20 marks]
- Civil Procedure Codes [20 marks]
- Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code [20marks]
- Personal Law [10 marks]
- Law of Limitation [20 marks]
The syllabus for English will consist of:
- Idioms and phrases
- Vocabulary test
- Phrasal verbs
- Same words bearing more than one meaning, use of appropriate and qualifying words etc.
General knowledge and current affairs consist of:
- Geography and History of India
- Countries and Capital
- Science and technology
- Environment Science
- Culture & Heritage – India
- International and National Organizations
- Budget and five-year plan
- Current Events/Affairs– National And International
- Economy – India
- General Policy
- Important Days
- Science – Inventions and Discoveries
- Book and Authors
- Awards and Honors
Syllabus for Reasoning consists of:
- Assertion and reasoning
- Direction Sense
- Alphabet Test Number Series
- Coding Decoding
- Sitting Arrangement
- Syllogistic Reasoning
- Alphabet Series
- Decision Making
- Assumption and argument
- Statement and conclusion
- Number Ranking
- Blood Relations
- The exam will be conventional type.
- Will consisting of 8 compulsory and 3 optional papers.
- Each optional and compulsory paper will carry 100 marks and will be of 3 Hours duration
- English Composition, essay, précis writing ;
- Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali composition, essay and translation from English into Bengali/ Hindi/Urdu /Nepali/Santali ;
- General Knowledge and Current Affairs ;
- Civil procedure Code ;
- Criminal Procedure Code and Indian Penal Code;
- Indian Evidence Act ;
- Law of Contracts and Torts and
- Transfer of Property Act.
Optional Papers (any three to be chosen):
- Hindu Law;
- Muhammadan Law ;
- Jurisprudence and principles of legislation;
- Indian Law relating to Companies and Insurance;
- Principles of Equity including the Law of Trusts and Specific Relief ;
- Partnership Act ;
- Law of Limitation and Law of Prescription ;
- The Indian Constitution and Constitutional Law
Personality test: 100 Marks
The Preliminary Examination is meant to serve as a screening test only for the purpose of selection of candidates for the Final Examination. The marks obtained by the candidates in the Preliminary Examination will not be counted for the purpose of determining the final merit list. The Final merit list will be prepared on the basis of total marks obtained in the Final Examination and the Personality Test. There shall be no separate qualifying marks for any individual paper or for the Personality Test. The Commission shall have discretion to fix qualifying marks in the aggregate.
In all the answer papers of the Final Examination due credit will be given for proper economy of words combined with clarity and effectiveness of expression and originality of approach.
Eligibility Criteria for West Bengal Judicial Examination:
- Educational Qualification: Degree in Law from any University or Institution.
- Age Limit: Not less than 23 years and not more than 35 years (Age relaxation for reserved category candidates as per govt. norms)